I am super excited for the weather here in Sydney to start warming up. I definitely prefer the warmer weather with lots of BBQs, outdoor parties, picnics and of course...loads of ICE CREAM!!! To get into the spirit of the warmer weather that is on its way, I have put together a tutorial for the colorful soda jerk hats that I made for Ashlee's Ice Cream Parlor. A DIY Ice Cream Bar is such a fun and easy addition to any Spring/Summer celebration. And what better way to add a little more fun by letting your guests 'look the part' as they create their own delicious ice cream treats.
To make these fun soda jerk hats you will need the following items:
- Tissue paper
- Wrapping paper
- Double sided tape
- Cardstock (not pictured above)
- Printer (not pictured above)
1) Make cardstock templates - They will make folding the tissue & wrapping paper quick and easy.
Tissue Paper Template
Download template here. Print template onto cardstock (print at 100% with NO page scaling). Cut along the two solid black lines then fold the dashed lines accordion style.
Wrapping Paper Template
Cut a 3 inch wide strip of cardstock.
1) Cut a piece of tissue paper 11" x 9.5". Use the tissue paper template to fold the tissue paper accordion style.
3) Cut a piece of wrapping paper 22" x 6.5". Lay the wrapping paper template in the middle of the 'wrong' side of the wrapping paper. Fold the two long edges over the template. Remove template.
4) Cut a 22 inch strip of double sided tape and attach it along the wrapping paper join.
5) Attach the folded tissue paper about 2 inches from the right edge of the wrapping paper, making sure the top (folded side) of the tissue paper sits about 1/2 an inch above the edge of the wrapping paper.
6) Fold the right end of the wrapping paper over the tissue paper.
7) Finally, attach some double sided tape to the left end of the wrapping paper then fold it over the tissue paper.
And if you want to make your soda jerk hats even cuter, you can personalize them with a 2" Party Circle from my Etsy store.
Or maybe even add some fun tissue paper flowers!
Please Note: These measurements were made to fit 4/5 year olds. To make bigger or smaller hats just adjust the 11" length of the tissue paper and the 22" length of the wrapping paper accordingly.
If you use this tutorial to make your own soda jerk hats, I'd LOVE to see your photos!
Happy Crafting :)